White Bean Chicken Chili
White bean chicken chili prepared in a crockpot with whole roasted jalapenos, tender beans, corn, and lean chicken breast.
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion , 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup roasted green chilies , canned, divided
- 2 1/2 cups white beans , (2-15 oz canned) drained
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock , divided
- 1 1/2 cups corn , (15 ounces canned)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt , more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Line a small baking sheet with foil.
- Turn on broil setting on the oven.
- Evenly space out the three jalapeños on the sheet tray.
- Place sheet tray on the highest rack in the oven. Roast the jalapeños until the skins brown and blister, turning over as needed to get all the sides roasted, about 15 minutes.
- Place the roasted chili’s in a small bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the chilies to come to room temperature; the trapped heat will make the skins easier to peel.
- Once cooled, remove the skin and stems. If you like a very spicy chili, leave the seeds, for a more mild chili remove the seeds and discard. Set the jalapeños aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl add olive oil, diced onions, minced garlic, and cumin. Stir to combine.
- Microwave for 3 minutes, stir and cook another 2 minutes until onions are tender. Add to slow cooker.
- Add chicken breasts, ½ cup of the roasted chilies, corn, 1 cup of the white beans, ½ cup chicken stock to the slow cooker.
- In a blender, puree ½ cup roasted green chilies, roasted jalapeños, 1 cup beans, and ½ cup chicken stock until smooth, 45 seconds. Add to slower cooker.
- Add salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred or cut into cubes.
- Add back to slow cooker and stir to combine. Taste chili and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Serve chili with toppings as desired.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Total Time 6 hours 15 minutes